Saturday was the Jersey Shore Runner’s Club 16th Annual RunAPalooza marathon relay. More importantly, MY FIRST RELAY. My sister Shelley tie dyed shirts for our team (Team Nacho Cheese).
The course started on the Seaside boardwalk and the legs were COMPLETED as follows:
- Shelley – Seaside to Brick Beach (6.4 miles – 9:00 pace)
- Ed – Brick Beach to Point Pleasant Beach Inlet (6.0 miles – 9:00 pace)
- Alisha (and Shelley for extra mileage for half marathon training) – Point Pleasant Beach Inlet to Manasquan (4.5 miles – 11:00 pace)
- Ritsa (and I ran the first 1.8 with Ritsa) -Manasquan to Belmar (5.5 miles – 8:30 pace)
- Me -Belmar to Asbury Convention Hall (3.8 miles – 7:49 pace) I was running 7:20 at certain points all caught up in holding a blue baton I guess. I had to keep telling myself to slow down, that I have a marathon in 2 weeks and I should not do anything to hurt myself. In the end it was ok, I took a water break for a few seconds around the third mile and slowed down a bit to the finish.
Exchange 2 (Ed to Alisha)
Leg 3 Teamwork (Alisha & Shelley)
Exchange 3 (Alisha to Ritsa)
Exchange 4 (Ritsa to me)
Team Nacho Cheese – 3:48:23
The best thing about the race being a basically along the beach the entire way was that we were able to drive ahead and cheer each person on at least two times during the route. There was also free Coors Light and pasta (and Mike’s subs for others) at the Convention Hall afterward.
The RunAPalooza was such a fabulous introduction to a relay race. I had such a great time, it was fun the whole way through. But I clearly have my sights set on the Ragnar now…..
TEAM NACHO CHEESE moving on up?