I bought pancake/waffle mix at whole foods a while back with the intent on making dairy free pancakes or waffles. Unfortunately, I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to cooking (I just follow the directions on a box and it comes out ok almost half the time).
This morning I woke up really hungry and needed some fuel for a run this afternoon, so I decided to gather some ingredients I had and really just went for it!
BANANA FLAX OAT PANCAKES (Dairy Free)
- 1 tsp organic coconut oil
- 2 tbsp organic ground flax
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup organic pancake/waffle mix (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 1/4 cup organic soy milk (or almond milk)
- 1 banana
- organic maple syrup (to taste!)
- Combine pancake mix, ground flax and oats in a mixing bowl
- Mash banana. (I have an avocado masher for guacamole that I used and it worked great).
- Add soy milk and banana to dry mix and stir.
- Grease pan with coconut oil. (I started using coconut about 4 months ago to cook almost everything. I like the way it tastes better than olive oil and it is a healthier option).
- Cook pancakes…
- Put syrup on pancakes…
- Eat pancakes!!!!
I did not end up using the Smart Balance, but it could be used as a topping on the pancakes as well. You will also notice that is the banana goodness will not be fluffy. This is because of the mashed banana and of course there is no egg. Modify the ingredients to your liking 🙂
I was surprisingly pleased with the outcome and I like the ingredients because there is a decent amount of protein. It is perfect for me before a workout.